A Few of My Favorite Things


Books and audio books have always played a big role in my life.  Here are a few of the titles I've enjoyed most.


Young Adult Genre
The Great Brain Series by John D. Fitzgerald
These stories offered everything that appealed to me as a child – humor and unique adventures, all beautifully illustrated by Mercer Mayer. I was so intrigued by The Great Brain Series it made me want to visit Utah – now I live here!

The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis
These stories by C.S. Lewis were delightfully intriguing! The Magician's Nephew was my favorite, although I read each book several times. I was happy when they stated making some of the books into movies.

Favorite Novels
Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
I was in high school the first time I read this book. I was enamored by the love story between Scarlett O'Hara and Rhett Butler. I didn't get a chance to see the movie until after I had read the book at least two times.

Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins
It's hard to select a favorite book written by Robbins. All his work expertly combines humor with a profound and sometimes profane commentary on the human condition. In Jitterbug Perfume, Robbins outlines a delectable recipe for a long and happy life. I liked all the ingredients except for the beets!

Coyote Blue by Christopher Moore
I have thoroughly enjoyed every book released by Moore, but Coyote Blue stood out for me because it was infused with aspects of the Native American culture. Moore has a very unique sense of humor which has me laughing out loud when I read his work.

Business Books
Do You: 12 Laws to Access the Power in You to Achieve Happiness and Success by Russell Simmons.
This book advocates using a spiritual element in the workplace to create an inspired sense of purpose. The cornerstone of my personal business plan involves talking to God and having fun – ideas promoted by Simmons.

The Magic of Thinking Big by David Schwartz.
Schwartz offers a lot of practical ideas for anyone in business. This book covers a combination of good business practices along with advice on how to adjust attitudes to affect a positive outcome.

Audio Books
Wishful Drinking by Carrie Fisher
Brangelina” can't hold a candle to the love triangle involving Fisher's parents, Debbie Reynolds and Eddie Fisher, with Elizabeth Taylor starring as “the other woman.”

The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield, read by Lynn Redgrave and Ruthie Henshall
This gothic style story featured many interesting characters and unexpected twists. The ending caught me completely off guard. In addition to being a great story, the narration was wonderful!

Spiritual Books
The Four Agreements by Don Miquel Ruiz
Based Toltec beliefs, this book explains how to live a life filled with love and peace. The best part is, I only have to remember four things!

The Tao of Pooh by Benjamin Hoff
The mystery of Taoism is unlocked as Hoff describes this Eastern philosophy in terms of characters from Winnie the Pooh. The book illustrates how the characters from The Hundred Acre Wood represent different personality types. For example, Owl collects knowledge but isn't wise; Eyore sees the glass as half empty or knocked over altogether. Pooh, on the other hand, simply is! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cleaning for a Reason

Celebrating the Winter Solstice

Support for Students