A Review of The Science of Getting Rich by Wallace D. Wattles


The Science of Getting Rich by Wallace D. Wattles is a well known work recommended by many self-help and motivational writers http://www.amazon.com/Science-Getting-Wattles-Wallace-Paperback/dp/B00ZY92T3S/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1454531618&sr=8-11&keywords=the+science+of+getting+rich

I listened to this in audiobook format, narrated by Eliza Foss http://www.elizafoss.com
While I enjoyed Foss's narration on The Mermaid Chair by Sue Monk Kidd, her voice and style did not work for me in The Science of Getting Rich. In fact, not much worked for me at all with this project.

As an audiobook writer and producer, I rarely ever write a bad review, choosing instead to stay silent on presentations that I don't care for. I'll make an exception here, with the caveat that I recognize both the writer and the narrator likely gave this work 100 percent of their effort. My reasons for writing a less than glowing review are due to the fact that this work is touted as one of the best and I'm confused as to why.

In The Science of Getting Rich, Wattles explains that anyone can obtain great wealth if they, “act in a certain way.” The problem is, “the certain way” isn't explained very well, if at all. Wattles also makes a very valid point about how we may consciously think we're capable of great things, but subconsciously we may not believe that and thus sabotage our own best efforts. While this makes sense, the way to correct the problem isn't laid out in a manner that is easy to understand or follow.


One of the highlights of The Science of Getting Rich is the assertion that there is enough success and money for everyone as long as the person trying to obtain these things does so from a place of creation and not competition. All in all, however, I didn't learn as much from this audiobook as I had hoped, nor did it live up to the hype that it has received, at least to me. Nonetheless, I will give The Science of Getting Rich a second listen in the hopes that I can glean more information. Until then, I have only awarded two stars to this project on Goodreads https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/4673038.Adele_Park

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cleaning for a Reason

Celebrating the Winter Solstice

Support for Students