Book Review of The Boys in the Boat


If I had to describe The Boys in the Boat by Daniel James Brown in one word it would be “inspired.”

This true life story is about nine working class boys from Washington State whose oar crew competed in the 1936 Olympics headed up by Hitler. Rowing isn't a sport I've ever tried or even been interested in watching. However, due to the deft writing skills of Brown, I found myself cheering for this team from it's humble beginnings to the pinnacle of their success in Berlin.

Taking center stage in this saga is Joe Rantz, a young man who was abandoned by his family. His story is heart-wrenching to read, but all the more enjoyable when Rantz emerges as a victor.

Although I knew the outcome of this story, Brown is so skilled in the way he presented it, I found myself on the edge of my seat at times. This is the mark of a truly great writer.

By the end of the book, it would be hard to think anything other than, “Hooray for The Boys in the Boat!”


I have awarded The Boys in the Boat by Daniel James Brown four out of five stars on my Goodreads Page https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/4673038.Adele_Park

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cleaning for a Reason

Celebrating the Winter Solstice

Celebrating the Day of the Dead